Springfield

The kids asked to go to Springfield...before they realized it was 3 hours away.  I jumped on this opportunity because I figured it probably won't happen again.  I let Matt plan the trip.  He got on the computer and googled Springfield IL and came up with a nice list of "restaurants" (none of which were reasonable options) and a list of "things to see."  The list of "things to see" was pretty reasonable so we tried to go to all of those.

First are pictures from the Abraham Lincoln National Library and Museum.  There you could see his actual top hat.  I couldn't take a picture but it was pretty cool to see and a big hit with the kids.
Here is Courtney with a young Abe Lincoln.
 Inside his log cabin.

 Wax figures of the Lincoln family in front of the White House.  Creepy part...that's John Wilkes Booth in the background there.
 Grant and McClellan.
 Harriet Beecher Stowe and Frederick Douglass.
 Up close with John Wilkes Booth.
 In front of the Old Capital Building.
 In front of Abraham Lincoln's house.
 In the dining room.
 In the back parlor where Lincoln accepted the Republican nomination.
 In Lincoln's bedroom
 Lincoln's Tomb




 At the Vietnam War Memorial.

 At the Korean War Memorial (this was on the top of the list).